Work pass and Immigration

Immigration Singapore:

Visa, Employment Pass, Work Pass, Dependant Pass, Permanent Residency (PR) Singapore Short Term Entry Visa and Social Visit Pass
Entry requirements for immigration to Singapore for foreigners are a valid travel document (6 months minimum), a return ticket or entry facilities to the next destination and sufficient funds to stay in Singapore
Singapore has two different assessment levels for nationals who require visa applications and you can find out to which group you belong at the websites listed below.
The ICA has a number of online services available such as to apply for a long term visit pass and the extension of a short term visit pass. You can also submit your Application for Visa Electronically via SAVE.
Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) ICA Building 10 Kallang Road (Next to Lavender MRT station) Singapore 208718View Opening hours and location map
  If you want to stay beyond the time granted on entry you need to apply for a social visit pass or other visa as listed in the Singapore Visa Overview below. Note: Immigration to Singapore without a visa is a serious offence!  

SingPass (Singapore Personal Access Password)
SingPass is NOT a visa but the name for your Singapore Personal Access password to access government e-services at the 135 services available at the web site eCitizen and various government web sites. SingPass it automatically issued to all employment and dependent pass holders at age 15. You will receive your Singapore ID card with an FIN number and a SingPass with an eight-digit CPF-PAL PIN password to enable you doing online dealings with the Government such as filing a tax return, for theatre bookings or reserving a book in the library. You may change this password online. By end 2004 SingPass will become the common online password authentication method for all government e-services. Remember your SingPass and keep it confidential!    

Overview Singapore Work Pass

  For foreigners who want to work, study, train or develop a business in Singapore  and for their accompanying family members the following visa are available. The government authority responsible is the Ministry of Manpower 's (MoM).
Ministry of Manpower                 18 Havelock Road                 Singapore 059764 Work Pass Services Centre (WPSC)                 Tanjong Pagar Complex                  7 Keppel Road #02-27/29                  Singapore 089053                 General Enquiries                 Tel: (65) 6438 5122                   Service Quality Tel: 1800 538 6930                   Employment Assistance and Training Tel: (65) 6883 5885 
      Available Employment and Work Passes
Employment Pass (EP)
If you are interested to work and has a job offer in Singapore may apply for an Employment Pass. The applicants will need to earn at least SGD $3,300 and possess acceptable qualifications. As a precondition, you need an acceptable degree, specialist skills or professional qualifications. For a list of preferred skills see the website below. Employment passes are issued for up to two years and are renewable for a period of up to 3 years. The process takes up to two weeks. Employment Pass holders can apply for theDependant's Pass and/or Long-Term Visit Pass for their family members.
P Pass 1 Holders Fixed monthly salary > $8,000 and Professional, Managerial,  Executive, Specialist jobs
P Pass 2 Holders Fixed monthly salary > $4,00 and Professional,  Managerial,  Executive, Specialist jobs
Q1 Pass Holders Fixed monthly salary > $2,800 and recognised qualifications or as skills and years of experience (we recommend a minimum of five years relevant work experience)
      With your employment pass you will receive a Singapore ID card with an FIN number and a SingPass with an eight-digit CPF-PAL PIN password to enable you doing online dealings with the Government such as filing a tax return or reserving a book in the library. You may change this password online. People granted in-principle approval for employment passes of 6 months duration or more, long term immigration passes (including dependant' s passes) and permanent residence in Singapore may be required to undergo a medical examination which includes:
Info: Medical Examination on Immigration
Medical history
Physical examination
Chest x-ray (X2)
Blood analysis for HIV serology
Medical report with recommendations
See section healthfor further information on health services in Singapore. See section healthfor further information on health services in Singapore.
Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)
The Peronalised Employment Pass (PEP)is tied to a specific employer and accommodates the needs of those in between jobs or looking for a job after eduction in Singapore. The PEP is granted on the strength of an applicants individual merits. The PEP allows the holder of a cancelled EP to remain in Singapore for up to six months in between jobs to evaluate new employment opportunities. The PEP has a validity of 5 years and is non-renewable. A PEP holder will retain the dependant privileges of his original EP type and a minimum annual basic salary requirement of $30,000 will apply. P1, P2 and Q1 Pass holders are eligible to bring his/her spouse and children under 21 years of age onDependant's Passes. A P Pass holder can also bring his/her parents and parents-in-law on Long-Term Social Visit Passes.
Info: Who can apply
Overseas Foreign Professional last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $7,000 (no more than six months from the time of the application)
P1 Pass Holders should not be unemployed for longer than a continuous period of six months at the point of application
Former P1 Pass holders                      who are residing overseas should not be unemployed for longer than a continuous period of six months at the point of application
P2 Pass holders with least two years' working experience on a P Pass and with a fixed salary of at least $30,000 in the preceding year
Q1 Pass Holders with at least five years' working experience on a Q1 pass and with a fixed salary of at least $30,000 in the preceding year
Foreign Graduates from institutions of higher learning in Singapore with at least two years' working experience on a P or Q1 Pass and with a fixed salary of at least $30,000 in the preceding year
Short-Term Employment Pass /STEP
Foreigners who want to work on a short-term professional assignment for a period maximum one month is issued once only for one month and is strictly not renewable. Qualifications required are the same as for an Employment Pass with a  basic salary above S$ 2,500 a month. Processing time is 3 working days only.
Miscellaneous Work Pass (formerly Professional Work Pass)
Apply for this pass if you are in the following categories of professional foreigners on short term assignments. The pass is valid for 60 days. See the website below for documentation required for the application.
A foreigner who is involved in activities directly related to the organisation or conduct of any seminar, conference, workshop, gathering or talk concerning any religion, race or community, cause, or political end
A foreign religious worker giving talks relating directly or indirectly to any religion
A foreign journalist, reporter or an accompanying crew member not supported/sponsored by any Singapore Government agency to cover an event or write a story in Singapore.
An administrative fee of $40 will be charged per application             The application outcome will be mailed to the local sponsor about three weeks from the date of application.
Miscellaneous Work Pass
Work Permit Performing Arts
A public entertainment license is required for foreign artistes performing at any bar, discotheque, lounge, night club, pub, hotel, private club or restaurant will need to apply for a Work Permit (Performing Artiste).     The maximum duration  is 6 months. Applications can be made online. You may be exempt from a Work Pass if you perform certain activities for short durations as an actor, singer, a dancer, or a musician or involvement as a key support staff, in any event which is held at a performance venue to which the public or any class of the public has access This exemption does not apply for a bar, discotheque, lounge, night club, pub, hotel private club or restaurant. See below website for more information. Foreigners performing Work Pass exempt activities can do so for the duration of their Social Visit Passes subject to a maximum of 60 days.
If you are thinking of immigrating to Singapore to set up a company  you can apply for the Employment Pass for Entrepreneurs (EntrePass).  To qualify, you need to own a business registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) for not more than six months. View the website below for a list of businesses which do not qualify.
Info: Cost:
administrative fee of SGD 40 on application upon approval fee of SGD 30 per year for EntrePass
Documents needed
EntrePass application form
a copy of your past employment testimonials
a comprehensive business plan with details of your business idea, products/services, market analysis, marketing plan, operation plan, financial projections and management team
supporting documents such as licensing agreements, product certifications and endorsements
a copy of your company's latest business profile (for companies registered with ACRA)
passport-size photograph taken within the last three months
a copy of the personal particulars page in your passport
Technopreneur/Entrepreneur Scheme
Entrepass Info
Application Form
Work Permit (Foreign Workers) (WP)
If you unskilled or a semi-skilled worker (definition see below) and expect to earn less than S$ 2,500 a month e.g. on a part time job you need to apply for a work permit unless you are:
A Permanent Resident
Holder of a Professional Visit Pass
Holder of a Student Visit Pass
Holder of an Employment Pass
Holder of a Work Permit
Holder of a Dependent Pass
Usually the application is performed by your employer            . For more information see the website below. There is a special application for foreign domestic workers such as a maid.
Work Pass Foreign Worker
Levy Payment during employment
Work Permit for Foreign Domestic Workers
S Work Pass
The S Work Pass is for foreign  professional, specialist or technician level jobs on a fixed monthly salary of at least SGD  SGD 2,000) with           qualifications such as a degree or diploma level educational qualifications. Technical certificates are also considered as well as the years of work experience. S Pass applicants whose fixed monthly salary is more than $2,500 a month may apply for a Dependant's Pass (DP) for their family members.
S  Pass
Dependent Pass (DP)
When you are applying for an Employment Pass (P1, P2 and Q1) and S Work Pass and also want to relocate your family to Singapore you need to a apply for a Dependant Pass for your spouse and unmarried and/or legally adopted children below 21. As a Dependent Pass Holder you will be supplied with a Singapore ID card with an FIN number and the SingPass. For dependants who wish to work in Singapore, a work pass or Letter of Consent is required. As unmarried partnerships are not recognized, partners need to contact the authorities for a solution. Alternatively they may qualify for their own employment pass. Children above 21 years old can be sponsored by their Permanent Resident parents to stay with them for up to 5 years or apply for a Multi Visit Pass for the duration of the parent's employment pass.
Dependent Pass
Long-term Visit Pass  for Foreign Spouses (LTVP+)
From 1 April 2012, the Government will introduce a new  scheme to help Singaporean families with foreign spouses. This new scheme,  known as the Long-Term Visit Pass-Plus (or LTVP+), will provide foreign spouses  of Singapore citizens who qualify, with greater certainty of stay here by  granting the holder a longer period of residency. LTVP+ holders will also be  eligible for healthcare and employment benefits. More info
Letter of Consent (LOC)
If a Dependent Pass Holders want s to take up work in Singapore they have to apply for a Letter of Consent. Applications need to be sponsored by an employer who can be the Dependent Pass Holder her/himself in ease of proprietorship of his/her own company. Processing time is about 5 weeks. The LOC must be renewed each time  the Dependent Pass is renewed.
Dependant's Pass Employment
Long Term  Visit Pass (LTVP)
Employment Pass holders may apply for this pass for their -             parents,            - in-laws           - common law spouses           - step children                      - handicapped children           -           unmarried daughters above the age of 21 Applications and renewals take about 2 weeks. Application can be submitted online by the employer with a processing time of about seven working days. The Long-Term Visit Pass holder is required to obtain an Employment Pass or a Work Permit in order to work in Singapore.
Student Pass and Work Holiday Program
Foreigners(with the exemption of Dependant Pass Holders) who wish to study full time in a local institution need to apply for a Student Visit Pass which permits them to stay in Singapore during the duration of their studies. The requirements differ depending on the type of education institution. See website below. Applications can only be submitted  once he/she has been accepted by an education institution to pursue full-time studies in Singapore. Foreign students are not allowed to work in Singapore during term time or vacation time unless they are granted Work Pass exemption under the Employment of Foreign Manpower (Work Pass Exemptions) Notification. Exemptions apply for - Full-time matriculated or registered student foreign students on vacation           - Part-time employments of foreign students. See also the Work Holiday Program if you are a student or recent graduate (17 - 30 yrs old) and want to live and work in Singapore for up to six months. There is a list of education institutions from which applicants will be accepted.
Student  Pass
Employment of Foreign Students
Work Holiday Program
Training Employment Pass and Work Permit
The Training Employment Pass is for foreigners undergoing practical training attachments for professional, managerial, executive or specialist jobs in Singapore. Undergraduates can apply if the training attachment is part of the trainee's degree programme. As an intra-company trainee you should hold a degree a diploma or degree if you want to work as a professional or executive training in an office or subsidiary of a foreign company in Singapore. Undergraduates: The training attachment in Singapore must be part of the trainee's degree programme from an acceptable educational institution; or  Intra-company trainees: Companies can bring employees from their foreign offices/subsidiaries, to Singapore for professional or executive training. Intra-company trainees should hold a degree or diploma. To qualify for the Training Employment Pass, the applicant should earn a fixed monthly salary of more than SGD 2,500. The Training Work Permit is  the equivalent for unskilled/semi-skilled foreign trainee undergoing training in Singapore. This permit is applied for up to six months and no extension is allowed. A Foreign Worker levy needs to be paid.
Training Employment Pass
Training Work Permit

Permanent Residency (PR Status)

As a P and Q Employment Pass Holder, Entrepreneur or Investor you are eligible to apply for Permanent Residency of Singapore for a fee of S$ 100. The process may take up to three months. As an advantage you may be able to stay on in Singapore even if your company closes down or your former employer for any other reason no longer sponsors your Employment Pass.

This is particularly important when you are made redundant and have only a few weeks left to return home and need to pay of all your outstanding taxes at once. PR status gives you more time to look for a new job i n the region and with a new job coming up in Singapore you do not need to apply for an employment pass. If you intend to buy property in Singapore as a PR you are able to borrow up to 80% from the bank and use your CPF savings to pay your mortgage.

Another advantage is that you are able to sponsor the application of your parents for a Long Term  Visit Pass to stay with you in Singapore. For more information especially on tax implications and National Service Liability see an article of KPMG about the pros and cons of a Permanent Resident Status in Singapore at:

Permanent Resident in Singapore
Pros and Cons of PR

          We strongly recommend to make yourself familiar with your rights as a Permanent Citizen of Singapore. See the Web Sites below and proceed to the chapter Risk Evaluation for further information. Categories of Permanent Residencies

Approved-in-Principle (AIP) for Singapore PR             available for Hong Kongers

Landed Permanent Residence (LPR)             Grant period of 2 years for applicants not yet working in Singapore to find employment in the country where after PR is granted

Professionals, Technical Personnel & Skilled Workers Scheme (PTS)             For those applicants below 50 yrs who secured employment prior to the application

Foreign Artistic Talent Scheme               Artistic talents in art, photography, dance, music, theatre, literature and film may apply.               For more information contact:               National Arts Council               140 Hill Street, #03-01               MITA Building               Singapore 179369               Tel: (65) 6746 4622             Fax: (65) 6837-3016 Email:[email protected]

Deposit Scheme               Applicants have to deposit S$ 1,5 Mo as an approved investment in Singapore               For more information please contact,               Immigration Facilitation Unit               Economic Development Board               250 North Bridge Road               #24-00 Raffles City Tower               Singapore 179101               Tel: 6330 6834               Fax: 6337 8552 http://

Business Migration Program               for entrepreneurs with an at least S$ 3 Mio investment project approved by the EDB

Q 1 Work Pass 2 year work pass for technopreneurs supported by the National Science and Technology Board (NSTB

Long-Term Social Visit Passes For Technopreneurs (LTSVP)               granted for up to 1 year for foreign technopreneurs with a preliminary business plan, relevant experience, qualification and sufficient funds for the duration of the stay in Singapore
Applications for  Spouse/Child of a SC/SPR   Aged Parent of a SC   P, Q or S Work Pass Holder  Permanent Resident Services Centre  5th Storey                      ICA Building  10 Kallang Road                       (Next to Lavender MRT station)                       Singapore 208718 Make appointment
Applications for For the Investor/Entrepreneur Singapore Economic Development Board                         250 North Bridge Road                         #28-00 Raffles City Tower                         Singapore 179101                        Tel: 00 65 68326832 Website
        Central Provident Fund (CPF) Contributions As a Permanent Resident you are required to pay contributions to the Central Provident Fund. To allow you time to adjust to your CPF contributions as a Permanent Resident the Singapore Government grants you graduated rates in year one and two before fully contributing in year three.

CPF contribution rates have been recently cut by 3% to 33% which will have no effect on your first year contribution rates. Those below age 55 and working in the private sector will continue to pay the current rates of 4% (employer contribution) and 5% (employee contribution) in the first year of becoming a Singapore Permanent Resident. For second year Permanent Residents, the private sector employer contribution rate for those aged 55 and below will be lowered by 3 percentage points to 9%. The employee contribution rate will remain unchanged at 15%. Third year Singapore Permanent Residents will continue to pay the rates applicable for Singapore citizens. See the tables in the web site below.

As a PR you can deduct the amount of your CPF contribution and thereby lower your taxable income or use your CPF savings to make mortgage payments and purchase unit trusts/stocks etc. Check with your tax advisor.

CPF Employer Call Centre
Tel: 1800 226 3877

National Service Liability

Be aware that you (male only) and your sons (upon reaching 16,5 years) may be liable for National Service which requires to serve 2 or 2,5 years of full-time National Service (NSF), followed by 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service (NS) per year till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks). More information see the web site below.

Note: Even Male ex-Singapore Citizens and ex-Singapore Permanent Residents who are granted SPR status are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the type of SPR status they are granted.